Friday, January 4, 2013

Let's play catch-up

12:33 p.m on November 1, 2012 I finished my first novel.  It was the first day of Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month).  Prior to editing, I had 102, 855 words and 349 pages.  I must say, just writing out those stats again makes me feel numb with awe.  Those are currently the most important numbers in my life. 

Since then, Yanek and I have been editing it.  It has been hard to cut things, but it has definitely been good for the book.  Right now, there are 100,704 words and 342 pages.

Speaking of books, I've started on book two - A Similar Fate - while the editing has been going on.  If anything is harder than editing, it is starting over after finishing a project the size of a novel. 

With the New Year approaching, I came upon an article posted on Facebook by Julie Stroebel-Barichello that made suggestions for writers who wanted to be more productive. 

http://litreactor.com/columns/13-resolutions-to-make-you-a-better-more-productive-writer-in-2013?fb_action_ids=10152380540105201&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210152380540105201%22%3A104595673047880%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210152380540105201%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map

Upon my discovery of this, I sent a frantic message to Jenn - a fellow writer.  Together, we decided this was a brilliant article.  I personally decided to write 500 words before 5:00 p.m.

I am glad to report that I have not missed a single day (Don't be a buzz kill.  I know it's only been four days.)  In the four days that I've done this, others in my network of writers have asked to join in this project.  Delightedly, I explained the basis of my resolution to them.  Now, there's a small group that send me emails everyday with their words.

Because of this resolution, I am starting chapter two in A Similar Fate.  I am thoroughly excited for this second book but also a little apprehensive.  As anyone who has heard me complain will tell you, these characters are by far different than the ones in The Hand of Fate.  I certainly hope I can introduce you, good reader, to them soon. 

Well, I believe that is all that's been happening to me in the writing world.  Keep reading, kind readers.  I do this crazy thing called writing for you.  I can't imagine doing anything else, so I must thank you for being apart of this journey with me.

And we'll call this a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment