Thursday, January 10, 2013

Whoa there!

Today, I got a call from a self-pub service.  I was most certainly not expecting that call and you can imagine how it blew my mind.  Immediately after the call ended, I made a post on Facebook about it.  I must admit, I'm still rather shook up over the encounter; by the Gods, it was nervewrecking!

With my day drawing to a close, it's left me time to think and to ask questions of other writers I know.  Yanek especially. 

Self-pubbing isn't a bad way to go, but it can get really pricy.  Of course, that path is quick and has quick payouts.  Traditional, however, takes time and often has a bigger payout in the end.  But, really, who gets in this business because they want to get rich off it? (You in the corner!  Put your hand down!)

After bombarding Yanek with messages, he reminded me that there are a few things I should focus on before I go chasing after publishing house.  Revisions, he said.  And writing more stuff!  Also, platform building.  So, for this moment and many moments onward, my mantra shall be: Revisions and platform.

So, that is what I'm doing: platform building (sort of).  I'll chase those dreams of publishing when that road is finally finished being paved.  For right now, I'm still on a dirt path.

No comments:

Post a Comment